Today I will talk about last August. That was when Butterfly and I got in the accident causing her brain injury.
Mrs.Autumn, MightyMouse and SongBird were on vacation visiting us. There were gone that day visiting other friends. So, my sister and I asked to ride our bikes to the Splash Station, and Mom said yes. As we left, she added, "Wear your helmets, girls!"
Butterfly had started to think that it wasn't "cool" to wear her helmet. However, the day before I had repeatedly told SongBird to wear her helmet until she consented and put it on. Butterfly didn't want me to do that to her, so she put her helmet on before we left.
On our way home from the Splash Station, Butterfly thought I was feeling grumpy, so she invented a game to entertain me. That was how we got in our accident.
I called Mom, who said to walk our bikes home, thinking my sister was fine. She was stuck at home with a broken foot. Almost as soon as I hung up, a pediatrician called her back and said "This child's going to the hospital. Do you want me to pick you up?"Of course Mom said yes, and somebody else offered to bring our bikes home as well.
At first I felt guilty, because I was the one who messed up the game by passing on the wrong side. But later, Mom and Butterfly convinced me that I had saved her life that day by my insisting that SongBird wore a helmet the previous day. Then I just felt sad. Sometimes even mad. At God. For letting this happen to our family. But,
Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."
Psalm 46:1 says, "God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Psalm 145:20 says, "The Lord protects all those who love him, but he destroys the wicked."
Remembering the verses helps me know that God is going to work this out for good even though it seems bad right now. Reading Job has also helped me feel less mad toward God. I can relate to Job and his suffering. I know God will heal my sister, I just don't know when.
2 comments:
Hi - I read your Mom's blog, and I can understand the anguish of a teenager dealing with questions. When I was 12 I was diagnosed with diabetes.
I know that is totally different then what your sister has to fight to overcome, but I want to share with you a few things God taught me.
My parents prayed for me to be healed, and my Mom felt that it was her fault, since that "bad genes" came from her side of her family. There were a lot of emotions. So far, at 30 years of age, God has not seen fit to take my diabetes away, BUT when my family went to India on a mission trip and half my medicine accidently got frozen on the way there, God made my body able to use half the amount it used to for the three months we were there.
When I was 16, I went to diabetic camp and was the only truly Christian girl there. God had me there for a reason, and used my diabetes for a positive over several years when I remained a pen pal with several of the girls I met there.
So, hold onto Romans 8:28. I cling to that verse also. God does not cause bad things to happen - he causes everything to work together for good. We just have to open our eyes and find the good that is happening around us, in spite of the bad.
Isn't Bethy awesome? I love her!
Here's a verse from me to you little friend!
And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in Him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:17-19
Miss you!
Post a Comment