The second camp I went to was sponsored by the Salvation Army. This camp lasted for 8 days. It ran from one Saturday until the next Saturday. I stayed in a cabin called Ash 2. While at camp, I learned more about music.
The first day, after everybody had gotten there, had their head checked for lice, and been registered, all campers went to their cabins to get organized. After that we all had free time. Because the pool water was brown, nobody took their swimming test until the next day. After dinner, all of the campers went to the chapel to take their theory test. When the results were posted a couple days later, I found out that I was in level 2B! This was exciting because I had been teaching myself to play piano, and I didn’t know I had accomplished so much.
Later on Saturday, we all learned some rules and divided up to play a few games. We played a version of capture the flag where the flag was replaced by other items. The flags in this version were an exercise ball, fishing net, and a child's play horse. We ended up being able to play three rounds of capture the flag before time ran out. We also played two other games.
Sunday afternoon everybody had their first elective class. I was in Praise Team. I was glad that I got into praise team. What I really want is to learn to be a part of worship team so our youth group can have one. That is why I am learning to play the piano. They did not offer keyboarding, so I was placed in choir.
That afternoon during free time, everyone was able to take their swimming test if they wanted to. When it was time for me to take the second part of my test, in the deep end, I passed! I had never been in 8.5 foot water before, so I was surprised that I didn't panic.
Beginning on Monday morning, the praise team lead worship during chapel. We also started Theory classes, which were to help us learn more about reading and writing music and tempos to go with each note. When I got two letters that day at lunch, I had to do the Duck Walk around the flag pole. On Monday, I went swimming with R during afternoon free time. We made up our own swimming test and had tons of fun. We had to touch the bottom of the pool, first with our knees, then crisscross applesauce, then sitting down, then on our stomach, then our chin, and finally a hand stand.
Tuesday evening was the Water Carnival. There was a dunk tank, water balloon slingshots, water balloon games, and a pool scavenger hunt. We also had cotton candy and snow cones.
After lunch on Wednesday, everyone took a nap because we were all tired and we were taking a field trip that night. All of the campers went to their elective classes at 3:00 and loaded buses at 3:45. We went to the Amazing Pizza Machine. I had fun. There were a lot of rides and some of them were tamer than I expected them to be. I thought the max ride would be more like a roller coaster, but it was just a video.
On Thursday in Band/Vocal, there was a solo contest. I sang "Redeemer” by Nicole C. Mullen. Mr.B and MissH also came to visit me, which really made my day.
Friday afternoon, right before my elective class, Mom, MissH, and Butterfly came to visit me. That night, Ash 1 and Spruce 2 played Volleyball, Newkum, Ultimate Frisbee, Knock Out, and got to do archery. Knock Out is a game where one person shoots a ball from a designated point, and if they don't make the basket, keeps shooting until they make it. After the first person has tried one time to make a basket, the next person in line begins shooting. If the second person makes the basket before the first person, then the front person is out. Otherwise, the first person goes to the back of the line when they make their basket.
Newkum is a game on the volleyball court where one person throws the ball to the other side of the net. If the ball lands on the same side of the net or if it goes out of bounds, the person who threw the ball is out. However, if the ball lands on the other side of the net or if someone tries to catch the ball and drops it, then either the person closest to the ball or the person who tried to catch the ball is out. If the ball is caught, no one is out. The team with the last person standing wins.
On Friday night, the evening program was ElectFest, where all of the electives got together and did what they had been working on throughout the week. My favorite was the Drama. They did a melodrama of the story of Job. Friday night everyone had to pack because the next morning there wasn't going to be enough time to both pack and clean up the cabin.
Saturday morning after breakfast, all of the campers went back to their cabins to double check and make sure all of their things were out of their cabins. Then we loaded up for the drive to the Corps where we had the concert. On the way out of camp, we had to stop and get our medicine and money if we had any left from the Snac Shac. The choir that I was in sang "Agnus Dei" and "Breathe" at the concert. I think we did really well. Music Camp was a lot of fun.
3 comments:
Sounds awesome! C is helping at music camp through our church this week. Its for 1st-6th graders.
She also just found out about a college - Morning Star Ministries that has a music program and is only abut 4K a semester. Way affordable!
Sounds like you had lots of fun. :D
We are so glad you had fun. Sorry you got sick. You did do really good at the concert. Mr B and Miss H
Post a Comment